Last week, the Lt. Governor Dan Patrick announced the Senate committee assignments. I was honored to be assigned Chairman of the Administration Committee and also serve on the Finance, Health & Human Services, Local Government, and Veteran Affairs Committees.
I want to thank Lt. Governor Patrick for his confidence in appointing me to these positions. Not only are these areas important issues for Senate District 2, but they are crucial to Texas’ continued leadership.
According to the legislative priorities set by Senate leadership, these five committees will make pivotal decisions on hot-topic issues ranging from medical freedom, meaningful veteran support, as well as, strategically setting the Local and Uncontested Calendar for the Senate Floor.
- The state is expected to have $342.3 billion in 2024-25.
- The Economic Stabilization Fund (ESF)–the State’s savings account will reach its constitutional cap during the 2024-25 biennium.
- What do we spend and what do we save?
- Find a way to control costs so that Texans can keep more of their money.
- Do we raise the constitutional cap on the ESF in order to save more for future needs or emergencies?
- What will the impact of inflation have on spending and tax collection in the months ahead?
- If we increase funding for ongoing items in this cycle, how will it meet those needs in future years?
- What are the one-time expenses we can use the money for this cycle?